Thursday, September 4, 2008

September 4


1781, the city of Los Angeles-- my favorite-- is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula-- the City of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of the Little Portion-- by a group of 44 Spanish settlers. Having lived in Los Angeles most of my adult life, I have to say, despite its horrendous traffic, smog and overcrowded/dirty streets, it has an irresistible charm and appeal to it, and partly because of its enormous cosmopolitanism. You will meet the world right here... When I set my foot on this land as an 18 year old, I had very far-fetched dreams that came true in this very city. One of these dreams materialized at UCLA, which has been engrafted in my heart with golden letters since then... That dream was made possible by a Democratic President then in power who ensured that people of minorities could attend a public University and get affordable education to enrich this nation for forthcoming generations... And that dream has become impossible for many other kids recently. Can we reverse the trend in this election by choosing a Democrat?! Yes, we can! Vote for Barack Obama!


1907, Edvard Grieg, one of the greatest composers of all times died. Click here for his famous Piano Concerto.

No comments: